Know the Code
It’s Your Responsibility
Knowing chairlift safety, following Your Responsibility Code and using common sense, skiers and riders can enjoy a safer day on the slopes.
7 Points to Your Responsibility Code
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
Protect yourself, protect others.
Chairlift Safety Tips
According to our friends at the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA), using and riding chairlifts in a responsible manner is one of the primary safety considerations for all skiers and snowboarders. It’s YOUR Responsibility to know how to use and ride the lift safely.
Here are some tips:
- Ask the lift attendant for help if you need assistance.
- Remove and carry packs. Children in packs are not allowed on chairlifts.
- Do not use phones, music or games while loading or unloading.
- It is OK to miss a chair and wait for the next one.
- When loading, watch for the approaching chair and then sit to the back once seated.
- If you drop something, LET IT FALL. Any item dropped can be picked up later.
- Absolutely NO horseplay on the lifts.
Kids on Lifts
In an effort to promote chairlift safety to kids and their parents, CSCUSA has produced this entertaining and educational video series. Please share this information with your kids to ensure they know your expectations for their conduct and actions when loading, riding and unloading a chairlift.
Watch and share these tutorial chairlift safety videos with your kids before you go.
Loading a Chairlift
Riding a Chairlift
Unloading a Chairlift
Click here for more information and tips on Lift Safety.
Click here for more information, tips and resources on Helmet Safety.
Terrain Park Safety
Click here for more information on terrain park safety.