Rev Up for Cardboard Derby
On Saturday, March 10, the annual Cardboard Derby returns to Sipapu for its 15th year!
This popular family-fun event challenges both creativity and ingenuity as participants attempt to build the best cardboard snow vessel on the mountain. Oh, and this year we’re raising the bar by offering DOZENS of awesome prizes, including free entry to Purgatory Resort’s Cardboard Derby on March 17!
Yep—Cardboard Derby is that much fun!
The Rules are Simple
- Your vessel can only be made of cardboard, duct tape, string or twine and paint. No wax allowed!
- Everyone in your team must remain in your vessel from start to finish
- Each Derby vessel may be assigned to one individual or one team only
The possibilities for creativity are endless!
While the Derby is a blast for participants, it’s also a spectator favorite!
Kids and adults love the thrill of watching teams barrel down the hill in their homemade cardboard vessels. Every year participants get more creative and knowledgeable in crafting their vessels, making it an increasingly fun event to watch.
Tips for building your derby racer:
- Sled-shaped vessels tend to get the best momentum
- Duct tape on the bottom of your vessel increases momentum
- There are different kinds of cardboard 😉
- Weight distribution matters. Rear-weighted vessels tend to spin 180 degrees, sending participants down backwards
- Weight = speed. Adding bodies to your vessel will make it to go faster
Themed vessels are always a blast to watch.
Need some inspiration? Check out this Derby video. Register in advance. It will save you time on Derby Day!
Cardboard Derby Day Schedule
8:30am—Day-of registration at Sipapu’s Base Area. Cost is $10/vessel
9:00am Individual and Team check in. Vessel inspection
10:00am—Mandatory participant meeting at the shoot
10:30am>—15th Annual Cardboard Derby start time
1:00 p.m.—Award Ceremony
All you need is cardboard, duct tape and a little imagination!
For more information, visit our Cardboard Derby page. See you on Derby Day and may the best (and most creative) derby-goer win!
*Please note that 2017/2018 Power Pass holders will not receive two FREE lift tickets for Purgatory Resort.